SeaConditions is a service providing ocean and weather forecasts at sea. Forecasts concerning the Mediterranean Sea are produced by numerical models using satellite observations and in situ data (e.g. opportunity ships, buoys). The computation is based on state-of-the-art ocean models, delivering detailed information with high spatial and temporal resolution. Forecasts refer to a time-span of four and a half days, with a time schedule of 3 hours for the first two and a half days and of 6 hours for the second two. SeaConditions provides the following information:
- "sea-forecasts" that is: sea surface temperature, surface currents, significant wave height and direction, wave period and direction;
- "atmospheric conditions" that is: air-temperature at 2 meters a.g.l., surface pressure, precipitation, cloud coverage, wind at 10 meters a.g.l.;
- "sea satellite observations": chlorophyll concentration, water transparency;
The forecasts are displayed as an information layer superimposed on a Google-map. The graphical rendering includes color shading and/or arrows, depending on the information to be displayed.
All forecast times are UTC-based (Coordinated Universal Time). See table below for some examples:
- Centro Euro-Mediterraneo sui CambiamentiClimatici (CMCC) is responsible for the operational research activities, the distribution and visualization of products;
- Links Management and Technology S.p.A.,hascreated the system for web and mobile publication of theproducts
Weather forecasts are based on observations and forecasts produced and certified by the Meteorological Service of the Italian Air Force (http://www.meteoam.it/).
Ocean products are produced by the E.U. Copernicus Marine Service Information (http://marine.copernicus.eu/)